Friday, January 16, 2009

Soul's Winter

There are days. There are slow-moving, cold days.

I scrape the bottom of the barrel.

My soul lives in a winter all its own, cold and grasping for any warmth it can find.

In these spaces, I am to wait and to rest and to look for new growth.

My heart strains for any sign of birth, of spring.

What will He birth out of this forced stillness?

I listen to the words given me. Good and bad. Spirit-filled and from the flesh.

I am encouraged and I am discouraged.

I am churning and turning words over and over.

Something is forming in me.
A new thing.
As I wait, I reach down deep.
What do I know?

There are many things I do not know, but this I do:

Jesus.
Jesus.
Jesus.
This I know. The One Sure Thing. All else fades. All else changes. All else fails. All else is pretense. All else is fluff.
Jesus. My brother. My friend. My Lord. My Lover. My Only Hope. My Only Hope for Spring. My Only Hope for life in this winter of my soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gayle, I'm glad you spoke the words on your heart. It is good to experience recession of the heart in order to regain the understanding of Christ's new economy --- one that has no recession, and even if there is I know there is great peace when it is trouble brought about by Christ himself and in honor of himself.

- Your DH :)